Estes Park, Colorado

Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting through...

"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

There's no easy way to get out of a difficult period, as much as we may want to find one. We just have to go through it. Rationally, we may know that our pain will lessen over time, but this is little solace at first.

Still, we survive. And we survive by living through our pain-day by day, week by week, month by month. And then, suddenly one day, we're on the other side, looking back, thinking, "That was a rough period, wasn't it? But I made it."

It goes without saying that I've really had a rough time of it lately. With all of the things going on in my personal, as well as my professional life, I easily fell victim to the "why me" syndrome, ultimately leading me to have the world's biggest pity party known to man. My emotions have been that of a roller coaster...up one minute, then down the next. I've been mad as hell, sad to the point of tears, and so down in the dumps that I have feared there is no purpose to my life anymore. My mind races with so many thoughts, that it's hard for me to keep up with them all. I feel like I am stuck in a huge rut, and that I may never get out. I keep asking God why he is testing me like this, and so far I have not received an answer. That's not to say that I have given up, and I will continue to pray for direction from Him until I find my way again. It's hard to remain positive and optimistic though, don't get me wrong. There are some days I just want to give up...some days I don't even want to get out of bed. This is a very scary time for me to say the least.

Today's reflection is perfect. It puts my troubles into perspective. It reminds me that there is never an easy fix to anything in life, especially tough times like these. You just have to continue pushing through each and every day, enduring the difficult times to make it to the other side. I have been tested before by God. I made it through then, and I will make it through this time too. I will survive. I will. I just need to remind myself that this time in my life is only temporary, and that this too will pass. If I can force myself to push through each day (even if I'm kicking and screaming the whole time), eventually I will be on the other side. One day I will wake up and realize that these tough times are over. Hopefully I will be able to look back on this time in my life with pride...pride for making it through and not giving up. I know there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel...I just need to keep my eyes focused on that light...and eventually God will lead me to it. It will happen.

Today's affirmation: "I want things to be better-I want to be better- right away. I hate being in pain. But I can't make the healing go any faster, so I just need to accept that I will heal, with time".

0 comments: