Estes Park, Colorado

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Taking Responsibility...

"God gives the nuts, but He does not crack them" - German Proverb

If only the right opportunity were to come along, we think to ourselves, we could make a real success of things. We look with envy at others we see as being more successful. They must have gotten a big break somewhere along the way.

Chances are that we already have more opportunities than we realize. It's up to us to start recognizing these opportunities and taking advantage of them. This means actually working hard to turn opportunities into success.

I am 100% guilty of this. I look at other people in my company and think to myself that they must have been "in the right place at the right time". I think 'those opportunities will never present themselves to me...I'm just not lucky enough'. But in reality, it has absolutely nothing to do with luck. "Those people"...the ones who are more successful than I am...they are no different than me. They are human beings just like me. They had to start at the bottom at some point and work their way to where they are today. It didn't just happen overnight.

I have spent so much time complaining about my current situation at work, that I have lost sight of my overall goal...to advance in the company. I don't want to be in the same position I am now forever...it is unacceptable...I have higher goals than that. I love my job. I love my company. And I take pride in my work. I want to move up...I want to expand my knowledge...and I want to be the best that I can at my career.

An opportunity (actually two opportunities) presented themselves to me this week. There is a department in the company that I really admire, and have always thought about trying to move into...but positions just don't come available very often. This week two positions opened up. I couldn't believe it! At first I couldn't wait to apply...but the more I thought about it...the more I started to chicken out. I started to doubt my abilities, and I started to talk myself out of applying. I am so afraid of not getting the job...of "failing", that I almost didn't apply. 'How embarassing would it be to not get the job' I thought? People would think less of me...people would judge me. Then I realized how ridiculous I was being. How am I ever going to achieve my goals if I am too afraid to even try? Those "other people" that I admire so much, couldn't have been afraid to try, or they wouldn't be where they are today. You have to be willing to stick your neck out every once in a while if you want to get anywhere in life.

So that's what I did...I applied...not only for one of the positions, but for both! It's a stretch, I know, but I realized it can't hurt anything to just try. If it doesn't work out, it won't be because I didn't try...it will be because it just wasn't meant to be right now. I have been praying so hard for God to show me the way...to show me where He wants me to go. I feel as though I am stuck in a rut, and I have been asking Him to help me get out of it. I feel as though this was a sign from Him. It might not be in His plan for me to actually get the job, but I feel like it is in His plan for me to at least apply for the job. I feel like I am stepping outside of my comfort zone by doing something that intimidates me. And if it doesn't work out, then at least I will be able to hold my head high and say that I at least tried. And honestly, that's all that matters in the end.

Today's affirmation: "Ultimately, the responsibility for my success is on me, no matter what circumstances I face or what difficulties I have to overcome".

3 comments:

Nicole B said...

what positions are they?

Brooke said...

There are two HOPE positions: one is a supervisor position and the other is a legal/court mediator position.

Sommer said...

I could totally see you in HOPE lady! Let me know if there is anything I can do!