Estes Park, Colorado

Friday, May 7, 2010

WAMBA

One day I was walking down this old dirt road when suddenly, I saw this bright light and I heard this loud, ringing in my ear and then I heard the voice:

"I am WAMBA, the Big Bottomed Bellied Boobie Goddess".
she said:
"My thighs are thick and thunderous.
My waist is wide and wonderous.
My belly's rounded room, holds the full and glowing moon.
And my hips so soft and wide, hold the universe inside.
The mountains of my breasts are a living treasure chest.
And these legs are mighty stumps to support this mountainous rump.
Now, some would try to strip and starve me.
Some would try to mold and carve me.
But there is nothing more belittling than that narrow minded whittling.
I ain't gonna do no breast reduction.
Ain't gonna do no liposuction.
And your new "low fat" diet, I ain't gonna buy it.
My thighs are thick and thunderous.
My waist is wide and wonderous.
This body that was sent to me, is the form that it is meant to be".

UH HUH!!!

-Joules Graves

We read this so many times in treatment, and it is one of my favorite poems now. We even made "WAMBA" dolls. It's so true though...women spend so much time on their appearance. They try to mold themselves into something that the world thinks they should be...skinny and beautiful. In some cultures it is considered unattractive to be skinny...big is better...big is beautiful. I sometimes wish I lived in one of those cultures. I also sometimes (okay, often) wish I lived in Colorado. When I was working in Estes Park, I wore tie-dye t-shirts, jeans, and a bandana every day, and noone cared less. It was so great. In Dallas, I feel like I need to fit in with everyone else...like I need to be something I'm just not. It's sad. Don't get me wrong though...I do love nice clothes...especially shoes and jewelry. But I am way more into being comfortable than fashionable. I guess that's why I never wear any makeup. I'm just as happy in jeans and a t-shirt. But whenever I am feeling bad about myself, I try to channel WAMBA so that I can remember that I am beautiful just the way God made me.

Today's affirmation: "I am beautiful regardless of my size".



1 comments:

Nicole B said...

you know..i have lived in and visited a lot of other places, and i have pretty much decided that Dallas is the most superficial, materialistic, vain city i have ever seen. It's crazy!