Estes Park, Colorado

Monday, June 14, 2010

Even skinny girls have cellulite!!

I know what you're thinking...'how mean is that', right? But it's the truth! Even itty bitty skinny girls have cellulite! I was in Starbucks the other day, and this really tiny girl came in wearing workout attire, and her shorts (or lack there of) were super short. Not that I was checking her out or anything, but I was studying her (like I do most of the time when I see a really skinny girl). She seemed to have this perfect little body...but when she turned around, you could see cellulite on the backs of her thighs. And the best part is...that she didn't seem ashamed of it at all. I was in awe...and I kept looking at her (without trying to be too obvious) because I just couldn't believe that even she wasn't perfect.

Furthermore, we went to the river this weekend, and yes, I got in my bathing suit in front of the 10 guys in our group (plus the 100 or so other people at the river). It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (shocker, I know). The couple of days before the trip, I did a lot of self-talk, telling myself that everything was going to be okay and that I just needed to own my body. Of course, I was still nervous as hell, and was dreading it like the plague...but I did it...and I OWNED it! And you know what? I had an absolute blast. Once I got past the initial awkwardness, and relaxed a little (maybe the couple of beers I had had something to do with it too), I was actually able to have a really good time and truly enjoy myself. I have this bad habit of comparing myself to others, and thinking that everyone else looks ten times better than I do on any given day...but this is the conclusion that I've come to: noone is perfect. Of course I know that subconciously, but conciously ED tells me that I'm wrong, and I'm the only one with flaws. But after seeing everyone in their bathing suits this weekend, and after seeing that girl in Starbucks, I can say that I feel a little bit better about my own body. We are all different...height, weight, etc...and we all are all beautiful in our own unique way. This is huge for me! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the summer...pool parties, the lake, etc...because I feel that I will be able to really have fun and not be so consumed with the negative thoughts that ED tries to put in my head. So take that ED. Brooke = 1...ED = 0!

Today's affirmation: "I am grateful for who I am".

0 comments: